Monday, February 07, 2005

Sunday Bloody Sunday....

Apparently..any acrobatic move on my part to reach a high and stay there are usually combatted by an equal(if not,more powerful..) and opposite reaction...And any hopes of resting the butt on the crescendo and keeping it there for a while is met with a cruel reminder that I am riding a bell shaped curve and once you hit a peak, it is all smooth thereafter...Smooth way downhill, that is...

After a very "uplifting" Saturday nite, I decided to kickstart my regular lazy Sunday by scoring some CDs at Phoenix...But then little did I know that I am walking into the "woman-trap" called "The Discount Sale"...now these things are well-camouflaged (Ever noticed the proportion of font size of the words "Upto" and "50%") and of course designed to pull you into the chasmal vortex..I mean, look at the strategic positioning of these ads and hoardings!! Propped up to take into you into a hypnotic trance..sort of like "when you hear the word - discount sale, you will stand with your paws lifted up, on your hindlegs, with your tongues hanging out"..But then again, there is a downside to creating too many zombies, I guess...I put up a resistance and came out empty-handed out of...not one...but THREE of these sales...Yee Haw!!

Now this might seem to be a happy ending...but it was quite the reverse with the actual story...Like any woman with/without a heavy wallet (don't even get me started on this evil force called the credit cards!!) would do, I marched into these stores, telling myself that a momentary glance would do no harm...I had spent barely three minutes before which I came to a conclusion that I am not going to find anything that I would have picked when I am clear-headed...But since I was dazed and possessed by this greed demon inside me, I decided to keep my hunt going...Picked up a couple of Tees after what felt like an eternity of deliberation...then I headed towards the trial rooms...and damn!! the queue was longer than ones that you would find in a municipal ration store!! Summoned up some patience to take the last position in the queue...Minutes passed by and the crowd just lengthened its tail behind me but I hadn't moved an inch...This realization seem to have dawned up the rest of the women too and there was a visible unrest marked by loud murmurs and forceful tapping of the feet...Then the door of the trial room of my queue opened and this lady paraded wearing the entire ensemble of new kurta and long skirt and boots and accessories...Just when we were about heave a sigh of relief, she whisks into the room back again! Apparently, she had to show the dress to her husband standing outside (the clothes that he carried out in his shopping bag would have sufficed to create another retail clothing chain!!) for a nod of approval...from the commotion caused by the ladies in front of me, it was obvious that this lady had been doing this for a while now, which explained the stagnant queue...That was enough for me to come back to my senses...I rushed out of the store...

Shop #2 - Didn't have too much breathing space to walk around...and so I walked out...

Shop #3 - Well, whaddaya know..Deja-vu all over again....

And so, I visited Planet-M...was aghast by the discount offerings on the Floyd and the John Mayer CDs...they were priced at the rates of tapes!! Picked it up, in any case....then moved towards Big Bazaar to get drowned in the tsunami of people there...the mission was to flesh up my kitchen shelves..(Did I mention I am trying to cook these days ?! :D :D :D)...and phew! when I came out of the store, it appeared as though I had just come out of a downtown brawl ....

The high-point of the day was the pack of smokes that I indulged in at the end of the day...So much for the weekend, eh?

3 comments:

Aditya said...

the city of dreams... the city of free-will... the city of the crowded trains...

whatever sobriquets u try to associate this city with, u would never be satisfied... we havent even come to grips with its name changed to mumbai... bombay is STILL what i call it atleast...

anyways, just for ur info, i linked ya...

K. said...

I can't remember the last time I used "Mumbai" while addressing it...Actually, I haven't noticed that I am not using the politically correct term, until now!!

But yeah...there's something about this place..Never fails to induce a sleepless night...due to hectic work, or an active night-life or just plain insomnia,whatever it is...

Boopalam said...

I should tell you that I like your style of writing.. Very natural, bit inquisitive and at times sarcastic. Keep 'em coming. Will catch up wida rest soon..

Peace, GF