Sunday, January 09, 2005

Murphy's Law...

If anything has to go wrong, it will...

My own interpretation of this axiom reads - If there's anything that you don't want to happen, it will

My tryst with the Dune series began a couple of weeks back (Now this has taken a long time in coming...I realize!!) ...But once I embarked on my journey to dwelve deeper into Frank Herbert's world of Bene Gesserit witches and Harkonnens, there were no pitstops whatsoever...Even when I had managed to chance upon THE book that I always wanted to grab hold of, since the time I actually could spell the word "book" ( Wild exaggeration..yes! But you get the message!!) . This coveted book is "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe (For the uninitiated, this is the most definitive book on the hippie movement and on Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters)....So what's the interlink between Murphy's law and me being the proud possessor of two masterpieces ?! Well...that's where my sob story starts...

I was careless enough to leave the book in the office loo( No...I don't take books to keep me occupied in the loo..This was because I was just leaving work and I had to carry my stuff home!! And Yes, this ~is~ true inspite of what my Mum claims!!) ...And I actually axccentuated this sin by realizing the fact that the book's not in my hand anymore only when I boarded the train !! So after a coupla days of ransacking ALL the store cupboards in the office and not finding the book ( Throwing many cusses at the thief/altruist in the process...), I decided ro take a trip to Crossword (the big bad retail book chain..), which is an even bigger sin in itself...(Honestly, I am not a " Retail bookstores suck!! " purist...I am just in a very masochistic state of mind right now..)


Anywayz, I do not come across the book, but Satan decides ro tempt me by throwing in 85% discounts on Heretics and Children of Dune and Dune Messiah ( D-uh...those are some of the others in the series...)..But I do not cave in ( He thinks he can tempt me, Ha!).....Then I frantically scramble to Flora Fountain where I had found the book that I lost...Now these guys pack up by 8 generally...So I nearly jog down from Churchgate station to these pavement shop walahs ( Err...okay...that's not too far...so BITE ME! :p)...I offer to pay as much as a first hand version of the same book would cost (As you can clearly see...I ~was~ desparate)....Unfortunately, all I received in return was a sheepish grin from these guys that they do not have any copies left...

Then I scamper to Oxford's, asking almost every Tom,Dick and Harry on the streets for direction..I manage to find the place and hastily I asked the dude at the counter as to where's the science fiction section and that guy guides me to the bloody kids science text books rack!! Disgusted, I decided to unravel the mysteries of the arrangement of the bookstore, all by myself, when I knew the clock is ticking towards closing time...I finally manage to find that dark corner where they have stashed the "H" author books...And as a detour, Satan plants THE OTHER book that I have been after, for what feels like an eternity no - Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby...This time, I stripped my soul, handed it to Mr.Satan and get hooked onto reading a coupla pages (When I knew I was going to pick it up any which ways..)I soon come to my senses and find the row of the Dune books...Now the suspense was mounting...I had to know whether my tale has a happy ending...No,siree! Wasn't to be...What I had in store was the Heights of all Ironies, folding his arms tightly around his chests and laughing out loud at me....Beat this, All books EXCEPT the first i.e. DUNE were there!

Why, God, why?!

2 comments:

Arjun Bala said...

god wants you to read happy books..get the message?

KT said...

what an interesting account of an incident...one Murphy law plays its role in all goof ups of the day n you could thread all those beautifully.liked the way you right..