Saturday, December 18, 2004

Top 10 reasons why I would not offer a media liability policy in India

Okay, it's a frikkin' Saturday and I have been made to drag my ass to work cuz..Oh well, what other day can be better to ruin than Saturday by scheduling comfortably looong review meetings, where big burly boss types take out their wrath on the fact that they don't have a life and you seem to show the slightest trace of one! So these lumberjacks are out with their axes to nip these threatening hints of a life in its bud....whoosh, whoosh, whoosh..crash! Amen! But they didn't see a retaliatory reaction coming, did they?! They think they can make me work on a weekend?! Bah! Blog , I must and blog, I will!

Anywayz, I know I am trying to sound very ungeekish...That's b'cuz I am gonna start out on..err...slightly occupation specific topic...Sprung up as a consequence of a discussion over lunch where some chaps from the liability insurance business groups decided to make their presence felt...Is it a good idea for our company to go in for a media liability policy?!

For the uninitiated, media liability insurance protects any newspaper/magazine agency against claims made by the affected public, as a consequence of gathering and communicating any false/unsubstianted info...It generally covers defamation, personal disparagement or invasion/infringement of privacy charges...A more ground level example - you see some snaps of filmstars smooching splashed across the front pages of tabloids...and the filmstar is understandably livid because her "oh-but-I-am-the-typical-Bharathiya-nari" image is being shredded to pieces right before hers and a million others' eyes, she files privacy invasion charges against the tabloid/papparazzi...(Assuming she does end up actually filing a suit... more often than not, these are usually mere noises with declaration that she is marching to court...Before you know it, a coupla days have passed and everyone's forgotten about this controversy cuz some other actress' clothes-shedding gossip is more hot-selling news item now...)...so just in case, the court rules in favor of the plaintiff and the media company would have pay a handsome price for it, a media liability policy will come in handy..cuz it will be the insurance company which will have to empty its pockets...

So, if I had my way and I was the CEO of my company...would I recommend we introduce for media liability insurance for the media agencies in India? Even if I did prudently underwrite it and I also take the seemingly safest bet out of the media agencies...say, a Hindu ...I might not have too many filmstars lining up at my front door for claims on defamation charges, but I would sure as hell have politicians doing that with me! Same is the case with any political mag, I guess....
I would think twice before issuing any business magazine a media liability policy because they take too many big honchos head on...and they also usually lambast the government for poor infrastructure or sickly investment et cetera et cetera... Although these guys kinda play it safe most of the time by getting into the semantics and cleverly disguising accusations..They might be low risk...

I would definitely not even consider sparing a moment of thought for deciding whether to cover a TOI or a Zoom...

I would not cover any TV channel which has these " I am reaching out to the general public" kinda talkshows...The next thing I know they will be interviewing some gay activists ( or anti-activists!) movement and I am in a thick soup!!

A music channel is a high-risk profile too...The odds of an enraged parent knocking on your doors is heavy, with the number of booty-shaking videos that come out these days...

At the end of the day, I can think of only an inside/outside or zome health magazine that I might decide to insure...but of course, the chances of them coming to me for insurance in the first place are rather slim....So now, put yourself in my "assumed-CEO" shoes ;) Would you insure any media agency in India for liability?

Now again, please refer to the title of the blog....I rest my case herein...

1 comment:

Arjun Bala said...

Insurance,tax,credit cards,the stock market are all greek to me.what i can relate to, however, is working on a saturday.and it sucks!!!!!!!!!